The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) is a non-profit organization designated by the US Department of State to administer international work and study exchange programs. Founded as a non-profit, non-governmental organization in 1947, CIEE is one of the oldest, largest and most respected names in student study abroad and exchange programs. Each year, CIEE sponsors nearly 50,000 young professionals, university and high school students, helping them to grow personally and to develop their potential through participation in a wide variety of exchange programs across the globe. It is dedicated to the mission of helping people to gain understanding, acquire knowledge, and develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.
Partnership with HAESF
CIEE, Council on International Educational Exchange, is HAESF's partner in the U.S. responsible for administration, management and providing program support for all HAESF's programs.
CIEE's Role as Legal Sponsor
As an organization designated by the US Department of State as legal visa sponsor, CIEE assumes a number of important duties and responsibilities that relate to, and define our relationship to program participants of HAESF and Host Organizations.
Specifically, as Legal Sponsor of HAESF participants, CIEE provides the following services:
- Position search for participants of the Professional Internship Program
- Review of Internship/Trainee Placement Plans for suitability to applicant's academic background and career objectives, and for compliance with US Department of State regulations
- Issuance of the requisite “Certificate of Eligibility for J-1 Visa” (Form DS-2019) to successful applicants
- Extensive orientation/preparation materials for participants
- Health insurance for all sponsored participants throughout program
- General program support and 24-hour emergency support helpline for Host Companies and participants
- Ongoing monitoring of program through evaluations
- J-2 Visas for qualified dependents of the participant